WEEK 8: Contemporary Urban Fantasy | Ananzi Boys Response


This week I read Neil Gaiman's novel called Anansi Boys. I enjoyed the incorporation of mythology with a modern perspective. However, the content of the story uninterested me. You know a story is going to be weird when you discover that Florida is a setting in the book.  I found many common themes such a family dysfunction, deceptions, and prophecies.  


The West African and Caribbean folkloric god Anansi was an interesting character as he could form into a spider, man or a mix of the two. The discovery of Fat Charlie's father being Anansi, the spider god was very shocking to me.  I was very drawn to Anansi as a character. His ability to overturn the social order, create wealth out of thin air, and baffle the devil. 

-Abigail 

Comments

Popular Posts