WEEK 6: Fantasy Response | The Hobbit Response


This week I read and observed the iconic fantasy novel, The Hobbit. While I feel behind the times reading this fantasy obsession, this novel peaked my interest from the very beginning. We observe that the group of dwarves consist of male domination and that they hold a tight brotherly bond. Throughout reading I enjoyed imagining the fantasy world in which explored each dwarf character.

We see Bill Bo Baggins as the main character on the journey but I would question wether he's considered a hero or not. In the beginning, Baggins is reluctant to embark on any such adventure and enjoys his set ways of being a homebody. When we approach the end of the book, his cowardly attitude has vanished and he is a confident, explorer who has developed a close relationship with his new "brothers".  I feel that The Hobbit is very relatable in the sense that we all have our inner Hobbit. Most often we want an easy and comfortable life but deep inside us is a longing to adventure and journey into the unknown.

-Abigail

Comments

  1. You are not the only one who have not seen The Hobbit before. I enjoyed the story, and I like the beautiful scenery. Part of me would like to go on an adventure, but another part of me likes to be comfortable at home. So, I agree with you Abigail about finding Bilbo a character that I can relate to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts