WEEK 8: Coraline Film Response



For some reason I have never had the chance to watch Coraline and I was shocked at it's mature nature and horror elements. The film's child-like animation is deceiving, I feel simply isn't made for children at all. The reviews I have read from parents stated that the overall appearance of the trailer led them to think this was a light hearted "spooky" children's film, when in reality terrified their children from months.

I admire the film's creative risk and style choices. The use of colorful stop motion brings a magical effect while also remaining dark and disturbing. I was surprised to find out that Coraline is the first 3-D stop-motion film. Despite the eerie concepts, I felt the film was refreshing and inventive. Most often family films are formulaic and Hallmark feeling. Coraline is a little different in the fact that she ultimately learns that sometimes imperfect, messy lives aren't always as bad as they seem.

-Abigail

Comments

Popular Posts