WEEK 12: Bloodchild by Octavia Butler | Writing Assessment


Bloodchild | Writing Assessment 

1) What is your reaction to the text you just read? 


My reaction changed several times throughout reading this story. From feeling curious to confused, to completely disgusted, it was a roller coaster of emotions. One element of the story I found fascinating was the idea of the eggs giving youth. This is the same idea of the "fountain of youth" that we are familiar with. I was slightly confused and then very uncomfortable during the Tlic eggs surgery scene. While reading the text, I felt like there was no way of escaping the graphic subject matter and I almost felt trapped within the reading. It seemed like the human had no choice of wether he wanted the eggs implanted in him or not which was a very disturbing thought. There are a lot of unanswered questions throughout the story and I think that is what makes this story so captivating and interesting. We know that there are aliens and a human in the story but we aren't sure what these people look like. Also, who is this human man they are doing surgery on?

2) What connections did you make with the story? 
Discuss the elements of the world with which you were able to connect.


The relationship between the the characters of the story is extremely dictatorial and unhealthy. I can't say I necessarily identify or connect with this, but it definitely is a relationship scenario I have seen friends go through. Emotional bondage and abuse is prevalent through the relationship between 
Tlic and the Terrans. This relationship seemed very one sided and there was not much consent when it came to choosing this human man to carry the eggs. 


3) What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make? 


We live in a generation where we are obsessed with the future, the unknown, and the weird. Films are the most popular way we can connect to this Sci-Fi infatuation. I feel like this story would be successful as an animated film. The potential for a creative style and vibrant colors could really make this strange unsettling story quite beautiful. While reading this story I didn't get very much information about Gan, the human boy. I feel if the story were to change it would be quite intriguing if the story line was viewed through the eyes of Gan and showed his backstory. Because this was a short story, I feel like I walked in half way through, with not much context or resolution at the ending. This story could be lengthened quite a bit to give the reader a clearer vision. 

Comments

Popular Posts