Asterious Polyp Response

        In the graphic novel, Asterios Polyp, I felt the most compelling way of storytelling was used through the author’s use of colour. From bright cyan and magenta, to muted pastels, Mazzucchelli’s placement of colour sets the mood for each scene. In the novel, the main character Asterios lives a odd and ever-changing life. Thought his life, he has many emotions and phases which the use of color interprets. In many of the images, Asterios is drawn in blues, greys, and purples. This may suggest his sadness and confusion thought the story. 


In my work as a photographer, it is my job to discover and/or create a visual story. In photography, composing and representing a scene is crucial in telling a story. Photography is a way to document stories and share them with people for centuries on. I enjoy the ability to not title my photographs or give a back story. Having the audience interpret what the work means to them personally, is most important to me. Each person looks at something differently, they have a different perspective when looking at a piece of work. Because photography is still, it has a way to keep people guessing and wondering what happened before, during, and after the picture. Storytelling in a photographic way is my passion.  

-Abigail Nilsson 
Literature and Media Studies 

Comments

Popular Posts